Well today was all about making and testing boats. We used a hand drill to create a socket for the mast of our boat and then attached it carefully, trimming it down with a fixed blade knife. We then used a square lashing to attach the horizontal beam, before decorating and adding a sail.
Once complete, it was off to the pond for testing. The results were mixed, with some gliding perfectly across the surface, while others sank to a watery death. This created some good discussion about why some worked and others didn’t!
After all the excitement, it was good to get back to the fire for a warm drink and a biscuit.